LM7, do you know that those registry fixes have been updated to accommodate Office 2010? They were previously only valid up to Office 2007, IIRC.
I did search around for a fix to allow opening Office files in IE, but all I could find was the opposite - ways to prevent that! If those registry fixes work for Office 2010 I'll make the changes immediately! I prefer doing it manually so I can backup each key I remove before making any changes.
I tried the registry fix on my computer with Office 2010, downloading the relevant file from the UR forum post which I had mentioned previously, and it worked perfectly! (I am using a Win 7 32 bit computer.)
Just for the record, though, I should note that this worked under IE 8, because I encountered problems with IE 9 in UR: I cannot access Gmail in UR's internal browser with IE 9 installed.
Also, it is by no means impossible that while the aforementioned registry fix worked fine on my computer, it won't on other people's computers. (I tested all of this after taking a Rollback RX snapshot, just to make sure I could recover my previous configuration easily in case something got messed up...)