Try running chkdsk.exe /f on the volume, it can sometimes fix these problems by removing the (illegally named) file.
If the file gets deleted, it might be reincarnated (with a new name) by looking at any filecheck.* that was created.
I tried this, alas the drive (partition) is truecrypted, and chkdsk refuses working on it as another process (probably TrueCrypt) is accessing it, thus it insists on releasing the partition and subsequently chkdsk-ing it (who knows what that will do that to the partition?). Which is all the more surprising considering that according to the TrueCrypt documentation, using chkdsk should
be possible on TrueCrypt volumes...
See if this answer is any help
The filename looks like it is created from a URL. Somewhere on AHK forum I got this function
PathCreateFromURL( URL )
if (! URL)
VarSetCapacity( fPath, Sz := 2084, 0 )
DllCall( "shlwapi\PathCreateFromUrl" ( A_IsUnicode ? "W" : "A" )
, Str,URL, Str,fPath, UIntP,Sz, UInt,0 )
If you pass in a string with the filename it should spit out an acceptable Windows filename or an empty string on error.
Edit: for example
URL := "file://c|MyFolder/yaddyadda.txt"
fname := PathCreateFromURL(URL)
MsgBox % fname
Well, these might help in the future. Interestingly, NTFS-3G (this Linux thingy that writes files to NTFS drives) also seems to have an option windows_names
be default anyway, IMHO. Which it currently isn't, at least not in the Linux distro that I tried.
You could go at it from the other direction. Copy all files with Windows legal names you want to keep from the thumb drive to some other storage. Format the thumb drive erasing all data.
Yea, that's clearly possible.
However, I think I have more files and drives with similar problems. Maybe the easiest would be to reinstall Linux...!
Anyway, thanks for your efforts.