topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 4:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next
General Software Discussion / Re: Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?
« Last post by libeco on December 10, 2009, 06:31 AM »
On my old laptop I'm using XP and I'm still very happy with it. On my new laptop (once I get a new one after the previous one died after three days) I'm kind of stuck to 7 x64. If I would be able to use a proper XP x64 I would still prefer it over Vista or 7. I'm trying the newest Ubuntu on my PC and I like it, however, it comes with a price: no Adobe-products or a proper Office-suite (no I really don't like OpenOffice).
I've been using Media Player Classic and VLC for years and I still like them better than any other program. What find annoying though is that on Vista and 7 dragging a video to the player to play it is not working anymore. In XP when dragging a file to the open player would keep the player on top of everything else. In Vista and 7 when dragging the player is immediately displayed behind Windows Explorer. This is very annoying when watching tutorial series which consist of many smaller videos, Alt+Tab'ing all the time.
for fans of taskbar shuffle that have been missing the middle-click to close function in win7, there exists 7 taskbar tweaker. this has similar functions, and some win7 specific ones.

I'm also using this application to restore some XP-goodness. I still can't get used to the Vista-look and Mac-like-dock on 7. However, since I bought a new laptop I'm kind of stuck with Win 7 x64. I'm trying to get at least part of ym pleasant XP-experience back. Another thing that helps me a lot is XYplorer which is just so much more Windows Explorer XP than Windows Explorer Vista/7. It's not free though.

One other application I use on 7 is Free Launch Bar. It works perfectly for what I want: fly-out menus in my taskbar (don't think jump-lists, think nested menus).
Find And Run Robot / Re: Missing inital "myaliases.alias" file
« Last post by libeco on November 26, 2009, 07:28 AM »
hi libeco, thank you for reminding me about this, im going to try to fix today.

regarding search, use quotes to search for "windows 7"

Thank you!
Find And Run Robot / Re: Missing inital "myaliases.alias" file
« Last post by libeco on November 22, 2009, 04:46 AM »
I just installed FARR on my brand new laptop with Windows 7 Pro, but there was no myaliases.alias to be found. I created a blank txt file and renamed it to myaliases.alias in the my document donationcoder location. This made FARR recognise it and I was able to add new entries.

On another note: it's very annoying that once can't search for anything related to windows 7 on this forum because each word should be longer than 2 characters.
General Software Discussion / Re: Add tabbed documents to MS Office
« Last post by libeco on September 28, 2009, 03:28 AM »
This seemed like such a good idea when I installed it about a month ago... But it's a useless piece of crap (for me at least). On my dual core laptop XP SP3 with Office 2007 only opening word was enough to use half of my CPU power. Word became unresponsivee and had to quit soon after. I re-tried with the same result. I decided to uninstall but apparantly it didn't uninstall all because the tabs were gone but opening multiple documents didn't go too well. While I was used to seeing multiple Words (sounds weird) open, now it opened all in 1 instance of Word.

At the end I completely uninstalled Office and reinstalled it to get everything to normal again.
Since I'm a student I'm still often required to print reports. I do this mostly on a Canon MP210. In the past few years I've also started printing my own pictures on a Canon IP4500 with absolutely fantastic results!

I think I will keep printing pictures for a long time. Printing document in the future.... I don't know yet, depends on the type of digital paper they invent, currently there's no good alternative to paper.
General Software Discussion / Re: What is your preferred font?
« Last post by libeco on September 28, 2009, 03:18 AM »
For the web I either use Verdana, Tahoma or Century Gothic.

For print I tend to use some Helvetica variant or it's free brother Vegur
Here's another tip for making screencasts, that i have to keep reminding myself.

If you're recording a screencast that may last more than a couple minutes, make sure to pause every once in a while between demonstrating concepts, saying and doing nothing.

That gives you an edit point if you need to cut out some material or splice in new stuff, or overdub some audio.  Without the pauses you'll find no good way to edit stuff without having to jump into the middle of sentences, etc.

You could also have some bright red image open, but minimized, everytime you make an error, you maximize it for a moment and minimize it again so you can easily find those moment while editing.
Found Deals and Discounts / Re: USB Safely Remove for Free
« Last post by libeco on August 21, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I just tried it and decided it wasn't something for me. On my laptop with 3GB RAM I think a program that uses 15mb, while just sitting in the system tray is a little exaggerated. Also, when I used it for one of my external HD's I heard the drive make some strange noises... the kind of noises you don't want to hear your HD make.

SO for me it's just good old XP safely remove, perhaps four times and than just pull the USB-plug out.
Did anybody reply yet through some other way then this forum? If not, please let me know and I might be able to help.  :Thmbsup:
DAY 19:

The video shows how to use and configure the built-in mini-toolbar in FARR:

The entire screencast video series can be seen here: https://www.donationcoder.com/3ds/

Wow, what an incredible program FARR is, it just keeps on getting better and better. Did you ever consider creating your own OS? Just imagine an OS as customizable as FARR with all those tricks up its sleave... *dreaming away.....*

Thanks again!
Post New Requests Here / Tags in Windows Explorer
« Last post by libeco on August 19, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Hi there,

I thought I would just give it a try, who knows what might come out. For years I've been looking for a file manager which could replace good old Windows Explorer (XP ofcourse). In the end I didn't like any of the alternatives. Windows Explorer just works most of the time, it's usually faster then the alternatives. It has one downside however: although you can supposedly give tags to files, they won't work!

You could probably call me a tutorial freak, I collect them on an external HD (over 500gb :Thmbsup:). But let's say I have a tutorial about AJAX with jQuery, would I put it in the jQuery folder, or the AJAX folder? I think tags would be a great impovement that would introduce faceted classification to Windows. Windows 7's libraries are looking promising, but are still no tags.

So, I don't know if it is possible and if it could be coded in a few hours, but a tags system in Windows Explorer would be really nice. I was thinking of being able to add tags to files and to be able to filter on them.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
FARR Plugins and Aliases / Re: CZB pack
« Last post by libeco on August 15, 2009, 04:40 AM »
Hi there,

I downloaded and installed the pack mainly for the Google Translate plugin, but I already found Character table to be very handy.

I do have a problem though. I followed the instructions to install the package but right after I type goreload I get a message that FARR cannot be started, possibly because PROPSYS.DLL is missing. The weird thing is: right after I hit ok for this message, FARR loads just fine.

When I start Windows though, again I see the same message. After clicking OK FARR is loaded just fine again.

So, although everything seems to work perfectly, I keep getting this error message, I have no idea why.

My system setup:
Windows XP Pro SP3 (Dutch)
FARR v2.75.01

Thanks in advance!
Wow, even more features I didn't know of! Thanks for doing this!
Find And Run Robot / Re: Fileinfo (file extension seeker) at top of list
« Last post by libeco on August 08, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll make sure to keep looking for them.  :)
« Last post by libeco on August 08, 2009, 01:39 PM »
This just keeps getting better and better. I had to change the path, but it works perfectly  :Thmbsup:

Thank you very much!
« Last post by libeco on August 07, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Wow! Even more options I didn't even reach yet while trying to set the program up the way I like it!  :Thmbsup:

I unchecked the fileinfo as an alias for now and see how it works.

Thanks for your help and the wonderful program!
Find And Run Robot / Fileinfo (file extension seeker) at top of list
« Last post by libeco on August 07, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Hi there,

I found out about this great piece of software this week and it replaced Launchy immediately. There's one thing that is bugging me though. I'm not using firefox that often, so it is one of the programs I open through my launcher (previously Launchy, now FARR). Launchy 'learned' quite fast that when I type in the letter f, firefox should be shown on top. With FARR however, firefox is shown second (score 789) after Fileinfo (file extension seeker) (score 1000).

With Launchy I could blindly type [f] [Enter], but now it seems like FARR isn't learning at all. I don't know the first item in the list (is it part of FARR?). I hope somebody can clarify the process for this and/or has some tips.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next