ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Keyboard locale auto-switcher?

(1/4) > >>

f0dder:
[REQ] Keyboard locale auto-switcher?

I don't know if Windows has built-in functionality for this, or if there's perhaps some freeware utility available that does it; if not, I expect it to be a relatively quick hackjob in autohotkey/whatever, if somebody has the time - I'm unfortunately pretty tied up myself :/

Now, for the problem description: I run an English XP with Danish local - no problems there, I can use my quirky æøåÆØÅ letters without having the OS language butchered translated. However, when coding, I prefer an English keyboard layout, because the various chars used in C++ have a better mapping that way.

I have both Danish and English locale installed, and it's as easy as ALT+SHIFT to toggle... but it's annoying that I _have_ to do this every time I start notepad++ or cmd.exe, and ALT+SHIFT can be a bit hard to hit properly sometimes.

So, my idea: automatically setting keyboard locale on application startup. Doable?

lanux128:
another suggestion: why not use a program like AllChars or Skrommels Accents? :)

f0dder:
lanux, those apps seem to be intended for inserting special accents... what I really need is the entire key layout to change... a small example: with DK layout, I need to press AltGr+{7,8,9,0} to get the "{[]}" characters - with a US layout I get [] simply by pressing the two keys right of P, and if I hold shift while pressing them, I get {}.

Compare Danish layout to US layout.

lanux128:
i see the difference now.. looks simple enough, monitor apps & send some keystrokes.. i will post in a day or two.. :)

lanux128:
f0dder, do you want to switch keyboard layout whenever a certain program is active or only upon start? i can basically convert this script to what you want, what do you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version