ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's a good memorization software?

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
I'm a musician, and in an effort to learn some more theory, I'm looking for software that will help me memorize various concepts.  There are so many flash-card like programs out there, I was hoping one of the experts here would help me narrow it down a bit.  I don't need to print the cards, because then I'll just write them out by hand or whatever.  Instead, maybe there's a creative software out there designed to help people memorize things using the computer.  Thanks!

2stepsback:
quizlet.com

superboyac:
quizlet.com
-2stepsback (April 24, 2007, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice, I have to try this out!  I'm not a fan of online applications (web 2.0), but this one seems like it will be rather convenient.  Thanks!

suleika:
I've used supermemo on and off for years - you score your own answers (from I can answer that in my sleep! through yes, I got that right by the skin of my teeth to not a clue!) and it calculates optimal repetition schedules.  It can work amazingly well.  You can also use it to slowly devour difficult texts, extracting and repeating hard bits etc (called incremental reading).   It is extremely flexible, if perhaps over-complcated.  There are plentiful but horrendously organised help files.  If you only want to create some flash cards it would be overkill to get the newest version ($45) , but older versions are offered cheaper or free, so it's worth trying out.

I first came across it when looking for ways of storing information: it automatically extracts a register of words and contents and can be useful as a quick-search repositry for reference material.  I don't use it for that though. I am currently learning German vocab with it, and Firefox keyboard shortcuts, and the occasional piece of personal information that I keep forgetting. 

superboyac:
This site:
http://www.quingle.com/softarea/flash.htm

rates over 200 of these memorization software.  They have Vtrain as the best of the bunch, and Supermemo (along with several other programs) a notch below Vtrain at 2nd best.  They Vtrain uses the Leitner method which is very handy, but Supermemo does not, although it uses it's own system.  I can't really tell which one is better at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version