ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

InstantBoss - For those of us which require motivation to work

(1/13) > >>

Josh:
Basic Info

App NameInstantBossApp URLhttps://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4430.msg32502#msg32502App Version Reviewed1.02Test System SpecsWindows XP MCE 2005, 2048MB Ram, 750GB Hard drive (total), NVidia Geforce 6800Supported OSesWindows (ALL)Support MethodsForum BasedUpgrade PolicyDonationwareTrial Version Available?Not Necessary, DonationwarePricing SchemeDonationwareAuthor Donation LinkDonate to App103, the AuthorScreencast Video URLhttp://josh.dcmembers.com/Casts/IB/InstantBoss.html

Intro:

Have you ever told yourself that you need to develop a good work schedule instead of taking random breaks throughout your work day? If so, this app is for you. This will help you organize your work day so that you take breaks at a more regular schedule after doing a pre-determined amount of work.

Who is this app designed for:

Those who require more motivation to organize their workday better. Those who tend to procrastinate on breaks and take them for longer than they should.

The Good

Well, what good thing cant I say about this application? It does whats its designed to and it does it well. The application offers sounds to alert you when its break time and time to continue working

The Break time sound:

The work cycle over sound

The Time to work again sound

The application offers a good, easy to configure interface which is pretty straight forward. To configure it, you simply set the work time, the break time, and the number of cycles. Hit apply, and you are in business. The break time is the amount of time you want each break to be. The work time is the amount of time you want to work for before a break, and the cycle count is the number of work/rest cycles in your work day.

The application runs in the system tray, is very unobtrusive, after initial configuration and pops up a dialog when its time to work, and when its time for a break. These dialogs follow

The break time dialog

The work time dialog

The needs improvement section

This application is great, but it has a few things which this reviewer feels could be added or changed.

One thing is the ability to add fractions of a minute. I would like to be able to set work time for 7.5 minutes, and break for 2.5, for example. Currently this is not possible.

One other gripe I have is that the application should prompt you to apply changes when the work button is hit, if the values have been changed.

Why I think you should use this product

If you are anything like this reviewer, you like to take breaks, and take them often. But sometimes, you get into the habit of pushing out your breaks longer than you should. This app will help you maintain a good work/rest cycle and get you into the habit of working more than breaking :)

How does it compare to similar apps

I havent seen any similar apps.

Conclusions

This is a great app for the habit procratinator. This will help you not only with your work day, but when you have projects which are due and you need to get done. Overall, this is a very well thought out and planned application. The things I mentioned which need improvement are very minor and are definitely far from show stoppers. This definitely gets two thumbs up from me!

Links to other reviews of this application

To be updated at a later time. This is the first.

Josh:
By the way, the screencast (in case you missed the url in the basic info), is located here.

Good job app! Keep up the good work!

http://josh.dcmembers.com/Casts/IB/InstantBoss.html

nudone:
great start to the 'updated' mini-reviews, Josh.

can i just add that 'InstantBoss' seemed to me to be especially beneficial for anyone wanting to complete a single project/task. one that may only last an hour (or thereabouts) as in the original request that was made by JacobB. this is the feature that sort of made it different to the other time based task monitors.

mouser:
great mini review and excellent screencast  :up: :up:

note:
discussions about the program itself should take place here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4430

JavaJones:
Woah, lemme say that new review template looks sweet in action! Good review, and great little program too. :)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version