ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I need a frame by frame dvd video player software.

(1/4) > >>

kartal:
I need to watch some reference dvds and videos and I am in need of a good frame by frame viewer. Most of the players fail to do frame accuracy(kmp, vlc, Gom etc). And I do not want to convert whole dvd set to sequential tgas or pngs.I would like to scrub the videos back and forth as good as possible.

thanks

4wd:
AVIDemux

Not a player as such but able to read, edit and playback DVD, (and more).

For any MPEG source it just needs to be able to index it first, (which means the source needs to be on a writable drive), and then you can step by frame, key frame, black frame or just scroll back and forth using the slider.

Off to the right of the slider is a control wheel that allow you to step backwards/forwards at whatever rate you like, (from 1 frame every few seconds to a few times normal play rate), just click and pull it backwards or forwards.

As a bonus it's free, standalone and SMP aware.

yksyks:
I'd suggest VideoReDo Plus, which is not just a player, though. It's a full featured MPEG-2 editor, but very fast and you can scroll by frames freely. You can run several instances to compare movies frame by frame, set bookmarks, etc.

I'm not sure, but probably the trial version doesn't allow to save movies after its expiration, however, the browsing functionality should remain. Anyway, you can try it for free.

housetier:
I want to suggest mplayer, which is a rather simple but powerful mediaplayer. VLC and mplayer share a lot code; I prefer mplayer because it doesn't have a gui.

To view a film frame by frame just play it and pres ".", each "." will move to next frame.

mplayer has options to generate screenshots too, but I haven't used that feature yet so I can't say much about it. mencoder can be used to convert, or encode, from one format to another. I believe ffmpeg can do this as well.

It is a very simplistic if not cryptic media player. Which is fine by me because it does what I want: it plays any media I throw at it. Don't expect a usable GUI.

What does "scrub back and forth" mean?

yksyks:
I just noticed that you need to view movies from DVD, not the individual MPG or VOB files, so in that case you'd need VideoReDo TVSuite, which is capable of importing the DVD.

Anyway, I'm not sure if players can do what you need--in my opinion the players allow to step frame by frame in forward direction only as they can't interpret the B-frames backwards, but if you need to get back they usually skip to the GOP start, i.e. the closest I-frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version