topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Foldable Disposable Notepad  (Read 4995 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Foldable Disposable Notepad
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:42 AM »
I don't really know what the proper term is for this kind of feature so pardon the vague title.

All I can refer to as an example is with how in WriteMonkey, each page has it's "repository" page.

The way it works is that when you press alt+R, it switches to a "behind the scenes" page.

I don't know how it works but that's the type of feature I'm looking for except a multi-page one.

I know it's probably doable with multiple tabs and personal wikis and even a text comparing program however I feel this is the like a more convenient, more keyboard friendly way of comparing multiple drafts content per content. Paragraph per paragraph.

I also hope it's an application that doesn't require a huge learning step like Emacs or vim.

To narrow down the feature into specifics, here's how it would work:

1. You have a basic notepad (auto-save is nice but not required).

2. You then hit alt+r (or a keyboard shortcut of your own) and type your improved draft in there.

3. At this point it's no different from a notepad or WriteMonkey especially.

4. However, that second page has an extra special save button separate from the default save.

5. Click that and the first draft gets deleted and the second draft becomes the only draft but this time if you click the repository mode keyboard shortcut, it then now produces a repository mode for what was previously contents on the repository mode. (and the previous page is automatically deleted from the system)

6. The important part is that the two pages are instantly switchable via keyboard shortcut. Bonus points if the switch has an option to auto-set the cursor to the closest paragraph line of the previous page.

7. A visual description of this would be to imagine flipping between two pages of a notebook where the back page is where the edited content is. As the back page gets better, you rip out the page in front and then repeat the same method with the third page.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Foldable Disposable Notepad
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Sounds interesting. I don't know of a program like that but it sounds like it is doing some kind of version control behind the scenes. Like there is version 1.1, 1.2, of a document. Except the old version is getting deleted or at least hidden. The word "repository" makes me think it is the latter.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Is this anything like the "Track Changes" feature in Word?  From your description it, sounds equivalent in effect, but implemented very differently.  In Word, they just take the original and cross out deletions and change the color of additions (edits are just a deletion and addition at the same time and are displayed as such).  In this way you can see all the changes that occur.  Each user (session) is a different color, and if you so choose, you can accept changes and make them permanent.

If this is essentially what you are looking for and want all the functionality of Word, you could essentially make your document with Track changes on.  Make changes as needed.  When you are ready to publish, or whatever, you can accept changes if you wish.  What is nice about this option is you can print the document as is (without changes showing), with changes showing, or you can accept certain changes and deny other ones and print the revised copy (though I should say you may want to save a duplicate copy first so changes denied don't get lost).

If this is not what you are looking for at all, well, sorry - I tried  ;)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:09 AM »
No, it's much simpler in that it's just like switching between two tabs. (Assuming you're using a tabbed note editor).

The only difference is that you switch via a hotkey and you only see one text file at a time.

In a way, it's the reverse of track changes. You're encouraging yourself to have two different version and editing two different but identical files.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Hmm...

Maybe Notepad++ has a plug-in that could help accomplish this?  I don't know anything more to help with the idea.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30 AM »
It probably helps if we all install WriteMonkey. I think I did a long time ago, didn't see the value of it then so I uninstalled it.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Nah, all it needs is a gif.

If I know how to make one, I'd probably have.

It's really dead simple. Click on the hotkey, Writemonkey switches to a different colored but blank page and you get the reference page. Click on it again and it switches back.

Imagine if DC would say suddenly switch to the post reply box of a topic with the flick of the keyboard and when you want to re-read the entire thread, press hotkey, switch back.

May not be as convenient as being able to scroll down and quote a post but it would be faster to view two different pages and interact with them.