topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Organize desktop icons and more...  (Read 20208 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Organize desktop icons and more...
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I take a look to desktop X and is terrible for me. I don't have time to manage a program like that.
I want simple solutions. I prefer a program to do few things. So I understand tha program is for people prepared to enjoy designing.....

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 06:19 PM »
I have organized mine by hiding all of them!

Same here. Well, I guess deleting is more like it.

To really make my desktop/start menu/quicklaunch useful and fun, I used to use Stardock, but that was years ago, and the only 2 designs I liked are from 2004.

Here is one of them. No way would they work anymore.
I looked last month at every skin they offer, but still can find nothing I like.
Now, I just use what Vista has given me & try to keep my desktop as clean as possible.
-Sarah

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 01:34 AM »
I take a look. At the present moment I am happy with Fences. And I testing for my friend.

Great - have fun!  :D

Once I figured Desktop X, and the rest I love it! - I'm still on XP so the clear uncomplicated skins give me the 'Vista look' - Each to his own eh?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:41 AM by CleverCat »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 11:22 AM »
The only thing about Stardock is that they are infamous for making software that is perpetually 'almost there.' Their programs work mostly all right, but are plagued by little annoying buglets that aren't large enough to be full-blown bugs, but are annoying nonetheless. What's worse is that these little annoyances almost never get fixed.

And woe to thee whose favorite Stardock program is NOT WindowBlinds. Stardock comes out with these neat programs promising all these wonderful features in the future, but other than a few maintenance releases after a program debuts most of their non-WindowBlinds programs are left to wither on the vine. The company has been promsing major upgrades in features for ObjectBar, DesktopX, and ObjectDock for literally years with no release of these programs in sight.

Add insult to injury now that bloatware Impulse has to be installed to get updates.

sunlitlaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Solarum
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17 AM »
I thought I would chime in here.  I would like to find a nice tool for organizing desktop icons as well.  Something like fences would be great.  As far as fences goes, I like (the idea of) fences, but every time I install it and try to use it, I get tons of explorer crashes ... so many so fast I can't use it at all.  I have tried it several times over the past year or so as they have come out with new versions, but I get the same thing every time.  Seems to be a great app, I have friends that love it, but it doesn't like me or something I am running.
---
After the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer our friend!

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31 AM »
I thought I would chime in here.  I would like to find a nice tool for organizing desktop icons as well.  Something like fences would be great.  As far as fences goes, I like (the idea of) fences, but every time I install it and try to use it, I get tons of explorer crashes ... so many so fast I can't use it at all.  I have tried it several times over the past year or so as they have come out with new versions, but I get the same thing every time.  Seems to be a great app, I have friends that love it, but it doesn't like me or something I am running.

What operating system ? I am using windows xp pro sp3 with no problem. Even with object Dock of the same Stardock.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 01:52 AM »
There were elements of Object Desktop I had trouble with like Object Bar, until I upgraded my PC to a Dual Core with more memory!

I'm on XP Home SP3.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Understood.